Boost converter to reduce the number of cells in battery pack.

Boost converter to reduce the number of cells in battery pack.

Sandesh Jain
Hey guys,
I am working on a problem statement where I'm supposed to boost the battery pack voltage from 37 V to 72 V(Li-ion batteries, 4.2Ah) to meet a net motor requirement of 72 V and 60Ah. The reason being stated in the problem statement is that the number of cells will get reduced and BMS complexity, protection of the battery pack would be much easier to work with.

My doubt is, if we boost the voltage from 37 to 74 V(boosting by 2 times) wouldn't output current also decrease by two times?

As a result,even though the motor meets its voltage requirement, it will not meet its current requirement and would draw more current from the battery pack and discharge it faster than usual due to which I will have to add more batteries in parallel to increase the pack capacity which contradicts the purpose of reducing the number of batteries. I am in a big dilemma if I must implement a boost converter in the pack or not .

Kindly, Help me out.

Re: Boost converter to reduce the number of cells in battery pack.

PluginIndia
Administrator
Hi Sandesh,

   We spoke to founder of eAdicct e-Bike systems and also part of KPIT Eletric Bus.
Do email him
mailto:Kshatriya.tejas@gmail.com

And keep us posted on what the solution is.
Thanks,
PluginIndia

Re: Boost converter to reduce the number of cells in battery pack.

EV only
That isn't a good idea, here is why:

The output current of the smaller battery pack will be doubled, for example if a 72V60A pack is capable of an output current of 1C (one time the capacity), then a half battery pack of 37V30A have to deliver 2C when you pull the same amount of energy.
This will at least reduced the battery lifetime or will damage the batterys. Depends on which batterys u use.
I wouldn't suggest it.

Second: those dcdc converters are not that effective, those things require cooling, space, and maintenance.

EV only since 2016 on a Kia soul EV ('17 model)